Saturday 30 October 2010

Why blog ?

My first proper blog started as a way of sharing info about our move to Spain with friends and family, it attracted a couple of odd comments so I took it offline for a while and started a new one. they are not academic just a record of our every day life. I also though it would be good to be able to look back in a few years and see how our behaviours and attitudes have changed. I have never kept a diary but occasionally wish I had when I think back to my early years all those little big things that get forgotten in the mists of time. It really is wonderful to have the blog record and we have met new friends through contact made via the blogs. I guess the thought that many people have of writing a book was also in the back of my mind too - one day may be a book that covers our reality rather than the just the good life in the sun that pervades many magazines and books.  I think it is time I started an academic blog; that maybe a good New Year resolution for this coming January.

Key to keeping me interested in blogging is posting regularly, even just a couple of photos of the garden keeps my momentum going. For example I have just posted yesterday a load of pictures of sand, will anyone be interested - I don't know but ah well I like sand and it provides a different perspective to many records of days out.

I did try doing one on cooking but I never remember to take any photos of preparing a meal until it is half way through so that one has stagnated rather.

Why are you blogging?

1 comment:

  1. Good question Ian. I set my blog up in response to a suggestion by the University. if you look at the number of posts that I made at the beginning though you'll see that I didn't really have a purpose. This year though something has changed. Not sure what exactly but it all started as a result of getting bogged down. I needed somewhere to go and do something. Something that could be seen as constructive. Since then it just feels good to capture thoughts and ideas. Like you I think I am aware that it will be useful to look back and analyse the journey, which was what my intial intention was. Hence the statement, I'm not sure what's changed. At the moment I am enjoying it, if that changes then who knows.

    ReplyDelete